Congratulations to Jim, this years Bodycare Premier Member. Thanks to Jim for introducing friends and family to the club during the past year – we hope you will enjoy your trip to New York courtesy of Bodycare!
During the festive season we all want to have a good time but that doesn’t mean going completely wild and losing track of what is truly important to you throughout the rest of the year…being fit and healthy and happy with yourself.
With this in mind we recommend the 80:20 rule – staying n the straight and narrow 80% of the time and 20% available for treats should you wish to have a little splurge – after all, it’s what we do most of the time that’s important.
Here are our top tips for Surviving the Festive Season….
* Everything starts with breakfast….no matter what the day holds in store, breakfast is as important on a “big night out” day as it always is. Have some porridge, probiotic yogurt, berries, whole grain toast or eggs. It will also help your body recover after the night before.
* Stay hydrated- it’s crucial to stay hydrated – especially if you are drinking alcohol – aim to drink 6-8 glasses of water throughout the day plus a glass of water for every unit of alcohol during the evening. Make sure to drink plenty of water the next day too.
* Sensible snacking – if you want to avoid over eating when you’re out make sure you have a healthy snack before you go – something protein rich is ideal, like natural yogurt or peanut butter on toast.
* Back away from the buffet – it’s all too easy to over eat in a buffet scenario – make sure you have at least half you plate filled with vegetables and salad and the remainder with lean meats and proteins. Avoid deep fried objects, cheese and pastry and make sure you don’t need to balance anything – if you do your plate is telling you something! Don’t overload. Also avoid picking at things as you travel along the buffet and don’t go back for seconds!!!
* No more hangovers – Don’t be tempted to skip meals so you can stockpile calories for drinking. Alcohol only supplies empty calories, so avoiding proper meals to compensate for a booze splurge means you’re losing out on valuable nutrients, just when your body needs them to help it detoxify. Stick to one type of drink and make it a lighter-coloured one because they tend to be lower in the chemical by-products that can worsen a hangover. Aim to have no more than one alcoholic drink an hour, alternated with juice, water or soft drinks – perfect if you don’t like holding an empty glass.
*What to eat the morning after - one of the best ‘morning after’ breakfast is a frittata or omelette packed with veg. We love mushrooms for their energising B vitamins, tomatoes for vitamin C and onions for their liver-friendly sulphur compounds, add a generous handful of spinach because it’s a great source of folate which helps your body repair DNA. Eggs are an excellent choice for the morning after because they provide choline, a nutrient that supports the liver. Add a sprinkle of cayenne pepper or a chopped chilli to boost circulation and rev up your recovery. If you can’t face a cooked breakfast then have a smoothie made with fruits like bananas, oranges or kiwi – these are rich in potassium which helps replenish the electrolytes lost due to the diuretic effects of alcohol.
* Get back on track – even after overindulging don’t carry on in self destruct mode – remember the 80:20 rule!!
We are at the ready to kick start your year and get you straight back into your fit and healthy lifestyle!
Merry Christmas – remember that 80:20 rule!
The Bodycare Team
Bodycare, Benfleet, 01268 758181