Congratulations to Jim, this years Bodycare Premier Member. Thanks to Jim for introducing friends and family to the club during the past year – we hope you will enjoy your trip to New York courtesy of Bodycare!
During the festive season we all want to have a good time but that doesn’t mean going completely wild and losing track of what is truly important to you throughout the rest of the year…being fit and healthy and happy with yourself.
With this in mind we recommend the 80:20 rule – staying n the straight and narrow 80% of the time and 20% available for treats should you wish to have a little splurge – after all, it’s what we do most of the time that’s important.
Here are our top tips for Surviving the Festive Season….
* Everything starts with breakfast….no matter what the day holds in store, breakfast is as important on a “big night out” day as it always is. Have some porridge, probiotic yogurt, berries, whole grain toast or eggs. It will also help your body recover after the night before.
* Stay hydrated- it’s crucial to stay hydrated – especially if you are drinking alcohol – aim to drink 6-8 glasses of water throughout the day plus a glass of water for every unit of alcohol during the evening. Make sure to drink plenty of water the next day too.
* Sensible snacking – if you want to avoid over eating when you’re out make sure you have a healthy snack before you go – something protein rich is ideal, like natural yogurt or peanut butter on toast.
* Back away from the buffet – it’s all too easy to over eat in a buffet scenario – make sure you have at least half you plate filled with vegetables and salad and the remainder with lean meats and proteins. Avoid deep fried objects, cheese and pastry and make sure you don’t need to balance anything – if you do your plate is telling you something! Don’t overload. Also avoid picking at things as you travel along the buffet and don’t go back for seconds!!!
* No more hangovers – Don’t be tempted to skip meals so you can stockpile calories for drinking. Alcohol only supplies empty calories, so avoiding proper meals to compensate for a booze splurge means you’re losing out on valuable nutrients, just when your body needs them to help it detoxify. Stick to one type of drink and make it a lighter-coloured one because they tend to be lower in the chemical by-products that can worsen a hangover. Aim to have no more than one alcoholic drink an hour, alternated with juice, water or soft drinks – perfect if you don’t like holding an empty glass.
*What to eat the morning after - one of the best ‘morning after’ breakfast is a frittata or omelette packed with veg. We love mushrooms for their energising B vitamins, tomatoes for vitamin C and onions for their liver-friendly sulphur compounds, add a generous handful of spinach because it’s a great source of folate which helps your body repair DNA. Eggs are an excellent choice for the morning after because they provide choline, a nutrient that supports the liver. Add a sprinkle of cayenne pepper or a chopped chilli to boost circulation and rev up your recovery. If you can’t face a cooked breakfast then have a smoothie made with fruits like bananas, oranges or kiwi – these are rich in potassium which helps replenish the electrolytes lost due to the diuretic effects of alcohol.
* Get back on track – even after overindulging don’t carry on in self destruct mode – remember the 80:20 rule!!
We are at the ready to kick start your year and get you straight back into your fit and healthy lifestyle!
Merry Christmas – remember that 80:20 rule!
The Bodycare Team
Bodycare, Benfleet, 01268 758181
During the summer months it can be hard to stay on track what with temptations at barbecues and drinks parties not to mention the disruption of holidays and children being off of school. Our philosophy is that what you do most of the time is more important than what you do some of the time. So, eat as healthily as possible, drink in moderation and try to exercise whenever you can…walk along a beach, hire a bike to explore your holiday destination, have a kick about with the kids. Whatever it is, try and stay active even when you can’t get to Bodycare for your usual workouts and then get back into your exercise routine as soon as you can. Don’t leave it too long – it’s never as bad as you think it’s going to be!
Don’t miss our Bodycare Olympic Challenges, starting on Saturday 6th August!
As ever, we can’t wait to see you all taking part in our special events and look forward to being impressed by your efforts!!!.
Jo, Nicola & The Bodycare Team
Bodycare, Benfleet, 01268 758181, www.bodycarefitness.co.uk
“Bodycare’s motivation mantra….
Fitness is not about being better than someone else. It’s about being better than you used to be.
Set your own standards and work hard towards achieving them.
Exercise is like any good relationship – you can’t cheat on it and expect it to work.
Work as hard on your diet as you do on your workout.
Wake up with determination and go to bed with satisfaction.
Jo, Nicola & The Bodycare Team
Bodycare Personal Fitness Club, Benfleet, 01268 758181, www.bodycarefitness.co.uk
STRIVE FOR PROGRESS, NOT PERFECTION….sometimes it all too easy to aim high and think too much about the bigger picture. Rather than thinking “unless I can lose 3 stone it’s not worth missing out on that take away or glass of wine” or “I missed a week of exercise so another few days won’t matter” or “I’d really like to be like my friend who’s super fit but I just don’t have the time / inclination / energy / dedication”…. Don’t write yourself off if you can’t be perfect. You have to aim to be the best version of you at this point in time. Yes, long term goals are important but they have to be meaningful and realistic. There has to be a time frame. Even if you can’t hit those dizzy heights you can try along the way. It’s not like you aren’t progressing – if you fail to try that’s when you stop moving forwards.
Progress is making better choices about your health, exercise regime and diet on a daily basis. It might seem trivial choosing to have breakfast, walk to work, skip that glass of wine, try harder during a Bodycare workout but in reality these are the little things that count towards making progress.
Perfection exists in very few peoples world. So few in fact, we haven’t ever met any! Keep trying, keep progressing.
Bodycare Personal Fitness Club
Ginger, a perfect health boost! Has amazing health benefits, nothing but good to be Sid about this power house…taste great, versatile and virtually no calories!
1) combating nausea and vomiting.
2) It reduces pain and inflammation, making it valuable in managing arthritis, headaches, and menstrual cramps.
3) It has a warming effect and stimulates circulation.
4) It inhibits rhinovirus, which can cause the common cold.
5) It inhibits such bacteria as Salmonella, which cause diarrhea, and protozoa, such as Trichomonas.
6) In the intestinal tract, it reduces gas and painful spasms.
7) It may prevent stomach ulcers caused by nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as aspirin and ibuprofen.
You can take ginger in whatever form appeals to you.
Who’d have thought that the humble apple could hav such amazing health benefits?
1. Fighting bad breath. Apples contain pectin, which helps control food odors. Pectin also promotes saliva, which cleanses breath.
2. Preventing asthma attacks. Asthma sufferers often have low levels of antioxidants. Apples are high in vitamin C and flavonoids (beneficial, water-soluble plant pigments). Both are antioxidant. One study found that vitamin C supplements helped protect against exercise-induced asthma.
3. Reducing the risk of stroke. A study involving 9,208 men and women showed that those who ate the most apples over a 28-year period had the lowest risk for stroke. Researchers concluded that the results suggest the intake of apples is related to a decreased risk of thrombotic stroke.
4. Preventing constipation. Fresh apples are high in fiber, which adds bulk to the stool. Apples contain both soluble and insoluble fiber, or roughage.
5. Combating fatigue. The high vitamin C and antioxidant content in apples counter the free radicals leading to oxidative stress, which has been linked to fatigue.
6. Reducing the risk of diabetes. The phytonutrients (beneficial substances found in various plants) in apples help regulate blood sugar.These compounds help prevent spikes in blood sugar in a variety of ways: by inhibiting enzymes involved in the breakdown of carbohydrates into simple sugars; by stimulating pancreatic cells to produce insulin; by decreasing the absorption of sugars into the bloodstream.
Compared to other commonly consumed fruits these nutritional powerhouses rank second for highest antioxidant activity. However, they ranked highest in the proportion of free phenolic compounds—substances not bound to other compounds in the fruit and thus more easily absorbed into the bloodstream. So stock up on a good supply of apples for this season. And don’t cut off the peels. They contain much of apples’ fiber and antioxidant power.
so, get stroked up & tuck in!
Bodycare Personal Fitness, Benfleet, 01268 758181
article thanks to Everyday Health.
Study leader Dr Liam Bourke said: “It’s early days yet, but the data that we do have suggests that exercise may actually be beneficial in terms of helping regulate the way that cancer cells grow and repair DNA.
“It builds on what we already know and is the first step towards finding out whether exercise could be an effective and practical NHS treatment for localised prostate cancer.”
Prof Malcolm Mason, of Cancer Research, UK said: “Taking exercise is good for all of us, whether or not we have cancer – but this interesting study could help discover whether it’s particularly helpful and a viable, additional treatment for some prostate cancer patients.”
Congratulations to Pam, the winner of the Bodycare Premier Member prize. By introducing members to the club Pam has won a weekend for 2 to New York, with our compliments. Wish it could be you? Well, put yourself in the running for next year and start introducing members. It’s really simple and you’ll receive a little thank you by way of gift voucher for every member you introduce, your name will then be entered into the draw for each person you recommend. In the meantime we wish Pam a fabulous trip to NYC and look forward to hearing all about it!
Jo, Nicola & The Bodycare Team
Bodycare Person Training, Benfleet
www.bodycarefitness.co.uk 01286 758181